4x100m relay 4x400m relay 10-for-10 100m 100m dash 100m hurdles 110m high hurdles 110m hurdles 200m 200m dash 400m 400m hurdles 800m 2012 London Olympics ABL allen johnson Aries Merritt ateneo ateneo basketball league Ateneo Track & Field Athletics Barcelona basketball boxing carl lewis Celeb christophe lemaitre D2003 Daegu Darya Klishina Darya Klishina (Дарья Клишина) david oliver dayron robles derek redmond Diamond League European Championships football Helsinki henry dagmil heptathlon high jump hurdles injury Istanbul Javelin Jumps liu xiang Liu Xiang (刘翔) London Long Jump Manny Pacquiao marestella torres Moro olympics Philippines plyometrics pole vault Rene Herrera rizal Russia sprints Track & Field track beauty track beauty of the week training triple jump Tyson Gay uaap ultra Usain Bolt Verena Sailer weights World Championships World Indoor Championships Yohan Blake
Rebound Ball (by Ed Sediego)
October 25, 2011Posted by on
My high school athletics coach, Ed Sediego, writes a guest post about the innovative game of Rebound Ball.
Rebound ball is an indoor team sport formulated in the Philippines in May 2011 by a Filipino gym teacher and athletics coach Edward F. Sediego who believed that the objective of all physical activities is to instill on the individual to have a healthy living lifestyle and to make contribution to building a nation of healthy well being. His aim was to develop a team sport which involves the coordination with his teammate and organizing a team play that will lead to team building hence producing a nation of healthy and active citizens.
The sport is usually played on an indoor court measuring 26 meters by 14 meters. At each end there is circular rebound board from which the ball bounces, which measures 35 centimeters in radius, 70 centimeters in diameter and placed 35 centimeters from the bottom of circular board to the floor and a semicircular “D” shaped restricted zone measuring 3.50 meters in radius. Each team can score on both ends of the goal and comprises twelve players, of which 5 may be on the court at any one time. In order to score a point, the ball must be thrown by an attacking player, hit the board and bounces outside the restricted zone without being caught by the defending team. Physical contact is allowed but with restrictions, a foul may be called upon the decision of the official. Interception is allowed during the game. Players are not allowed to take initial steps during passes, only the attacking player is allowed to take 3 steps. Teams are not allowed to pass the ball more than 4 times.
Rebound ball has come to be part of the Physical Education program of the Ateneo de manila High school.
Rebound ball was developed in the Philippines under the chairmanship of Mr. Bernie Santos.
Through the research and formulation of Edward F. Sediego who was concerned by contemplated fervor of the Ateneo high school students to face new challenges. He believed that sports is the building block of a healthy competitive gentleman.
Rebound ball combines the elements of handball which is played with hands, volleyball as the defending team must prevent the ball from falling, tchoukball and squash since there is a rebound. The sport can be played by anyone at his/her respective level, irrespective of the player’s gender, age or physical abilities.
- The court size is 26 x14 meters however, there are variations to this such as in beach rebound ball where the court size 22 x 12 meters.
- One rebound board is placed at each end of the field of play.
- The circular board is tilted at 55 degree angle.
- The circular board is placed at 35 centimeters from the bottom of the board to the floor.
- In front of each board is a “D” shaped semi- circle which measures 3.50 meters in radius, it defines the limits of the “restricted zone”
- semi circles of 7 meters in radius from the rebound board are marked for 2 points goal.
- 7 meter mark from the rebound board is placed for the free throw.
- The lines of the zone are considered part of the zone itself, while the line around the entire court is considered a part of the court.
Depending on the category of players ( Men/Women/Juniors boys or girls), different sizes of balls are used ranging from a circumference of 44 cm to 50 cm and weighs between 300 grams to 450 grams.
Two teams of 5 players each compete to score points with the team with the most points wins. When a team gains a point, the control of the ball is transferred to the other team.
- In Rebound ball, attacking is not limited to one side and either team can score at either side of the goal.
- A point is scored when the ball bounces after hitting any two the circular board and touches the ground outside the restricted zone. And if the ball touches any part of the defending player’s body or catching it while he is inside the restricted zone will merit a point in favor of the attacking team.
- 2 points is awarded when the ball bounces off from the board and outside the 7 meter semi circle line.
- If the shot is caught by the defending team, they can proceed to attack or make a goal immediately.
The non-offending team takes possession of the ball when a foul is committed and has to start the ball at the midcourt “throw in”, a player passes the ball on either side of the goal.
- The ball touches the restricted zone or the white board after an attempt.
- He makes more than 3 steps while holding the ball (Travelling foul).
- He holds the ball more than 5 seconds, including the throw off or the midcourt throw in.
- He makes the pass that brings the team count of successive 4 passes ( the entry pass from a restart is not counted).
- He touches any area outside the field of play while holding the ball or takes his last step outside the field of play before catching the ball.
- Holds the arm of the attacking player on his attempt, hence the team will be awarded a free throw.
- Catching the ball inside the restricted zone.
- Dribbling the ball and or making initial steps before the pass.
- Intentionally pushes, kicks, trips and the likes to an attacking player.
- Substitutions should take place in front of the officials table and only after a point is scored.
- Substitutes must wait for the player inside the court to completely leave the playing area before they can enter.
- Unlimited substitutions during the game are allowed.
- Every player can take any positions.
Start of the game
- A toss of a coin will determine the throw off (baseline throw)
- The ball must cross the midcourt line before the start of the play
- Only the team from the throw off line or from the midcourt throw in must touch or catch the ball before the defensive team should try to steal the ball from the other team.
Playing the game
- The player can take 3 steps on his attempt to make a goal
- Pivot is allowed before passing.
- Attacking team cannot make more than 4 passes before shooting.
- The defending team can make an interception from the passes.
- A player who commits 5 fouls during the play will sent out of the game.
Duration of the game
- The game is divided in 4 periods
- Each period has 7 minutes running time game.
- 5 minute half time break is given after the second period of the game.